Peace

Peace

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

A Spectacle of Glory by Joni Eareckson Tada

A Spectacle of Glory is a yearly devotional designed to teach you how to glorify God in every situation. It was written by Joni Eareckson Tada, who has spent 50 years living life in constant chronic pain as a quadriplegic. Through her trials and suffering, Joni learned how to glorify God in even the toughest situations, and wrote this devotional in the hopes that the reader would also discover how to trust and follow God even throughout the most painful and trying times.

I have only had the opportunity to do a few weeks of this devotional before writing this review. However, the days that I have finished have been very enjoyable. Many of the prayers and devotions were very encouraging and just what I needed that day. For example, as I sat down and read the devotional on January 1st, I was feeling very discouraged about finding a job and finishing my master’s thesis. Then I read the prayer for that day:"Lord, I've never been this way before. I have no idea what this year will hold, for my health, for opportunities to serve you, for people to love and help and challenge in Your strong name. No matter whether the travel is easy or a mad scramble up a slippery trail in the dark, I know You-- my Guide, my God, my Friend, --will be with me.” That was exactly what I needed to hear and pray in that moment.

        One of the only issues I had in the beginning with this devotional is that each day is very short. You only get a snippet of reading, and I thought that because it was so short the ideas would not be very developed. I was wrong, however, because she truly managed to develop each idea a thought provoking way. The condensed nature helps you to not lose focus, and to be able to truly think on what is being said. All in all, it is a great devotional and one I will continue to use daily throughout the year.
Note: I received this devotional for free in exchange for my honest review from Handlebar Publishing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment