Peace

Peace

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Risuko by David Kudler

Risuko: A Kunoichi Tale, written by David Kudler, was a treat to read. It is the first book in his Seasons of the Sword series, and tells the story of a young girl who is nicknamed Risuko (squirrel) because of her love and gift for climbing. This gift eventually leads to her being discovered and sold to headmistress of a remote, mysterious school, where she learns she is on the path to becoming a kunoichi warrior.

I have to say, when I first started reading this book, I found it to be boring and slow. In fact, it took me months to actually read it because I kept starting and stopping in favor of reading other books. However, once I got past the beginning, the story really started to pick up speed, and I found myself really enjoying it and wanting to see what happened next. I like how the girls in the book who were new to the school were not immediately immersed into intense training, and a save the world mindset. Instead they were well-fed and made to do beneficial chores and tasks that slowly became more difficult in order to ease them into the intense lifestyle of a warrior. I also really love reading about the Japanese culture, and there was a lot of history and culture (food, ancients customs, etc) in this book. Overall, I really enjoyed Risuko, and I am definitely looking forward to reading the other installments in his series.
**I received this book for free in exchange for my honest review from NetGalley**

No comments:

Post a Comment