Peace

Peace

Monday, March 28, 2016

The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom

            The Hiding Place is such a great novel. It is written by Corrie Ten Boom, and is a personal narrative and biography of her experience during World War II and the Holocaust. It is nonfiction, but written as a story and in a way that makes it very easy to read and understand. The story takes place in Holland, which is occupied by Germans. Corrie Ten Boom and her family (who are devout Christians) become leaders in the Dutch Underground, and are hiding Jewish people in a special room in order to aid in their escape from the Nazi’s.  Eventually Corrie and her family are imprisoned and find themselves in a concentration camp. During their time at the concentration camp, they share the gospel with the other prisoners. Corrie and her family suffer many hardships, first in prison, then in concentration camps, extermination camps, and for many of her family, death. Yet they never lose their hope or their deep rooted faith in God.


I remember reading this book years ago, around 9th grade, when we were required to pick one of four books to read and write a book report on. I was one of the only students who chose to read this, and I remember that after I had finished it, I wanted everyone to be required to read this book, because it is that good. Honestly, it is a heart breaking and painful story. As I re-read it this time around, there were many times when the tears flowed down my cheeks, and I found my heart literally hurting for these people and what they had to endure.  What I loved the most was the incredible faith that Corrie showed throughout the book. She had such obedient love for God and even for other people. There are parts when she thanks God for the hardships she has to endure, and where she prays for the guard that is beating her. I am a Christian, and I found myself wondering what I would do in the same situations. This book is absolutely beautiful, profound, and so very emotional. Definitely a must read for all, Christian and non-Christian alike.

As a few other readers and reviewers have said, one of the favorite quotes I read in the book was: Today I know that such memories are the key not to the past, but to the future. I know that the experiences of our lives, when we let God use them, become the mysterious and perfect preparation for the work He will give us to do”.  
Note: I received this book for free in exchange for my honest review from Chosen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment