Peace

Peace

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Poison by Lan Chan

I was very pleasantly surprised by the novel Poison. I had expected the book to be like the other young adult dystopian novels that I have read recently, which I still enjoy, but it was very different. Poison is the first novel in the Wind Dancer series written by Lan Chan. It is the story of a 16 year old girl named Aurora Gray, and takes place in post-apocalyptic Australia, where scientists known as the seeders have poisoned the plan and made it illegal to save any seeds for future use, in order to maintain control on the country. Aurora is what is known as a wind dancer, and when she was a child worked in the circus at the citadel as an aerialist. When Aurora was six, her mother was killed by the seeders for being a Wanderer, and six years later, the seeders are withholding food from her region for being disobedient.  Because of this she has to use her Wanderer knowledge to take the harrowing journey back to the Citadel, and face more challenges that she could have imagined.



Overall, I thought this book was very well written. The sentences flowed nicely, as did the story line. I also liked how she developed her major and minor characters, and how strong the female lead was. However, I do think that quite a lot happened in this one book, and that it would have been nice to develop certain sections, and perhaps leave some of the other plot for the future novels. I just feel like a bit of the story was undeveloped, and left me in the dark. Other than that, however, I thoroughly enjoy this book and cannot wait to read the next in the series one day so that I can continue the story and see how things play out!
Note: I received this book for free in exchange for my honest review from NetGalley.

No comments:

Post a Comment