Peace

Peace

Sunday, June 15, 2014

" A Place in His Heart" by Rebecca DeMarino

        “A Place in His Heart” by Rebecca DeMarino was an very good heart warming historical romance novel that is actually based on the author's ancestors. The book tells the story of Anglican Mary Langton, who after being left at the altar, longs to marry for love. Barnabas Horton, a Puritan who recently lost and is grieving for his precious wife, is on the search for a mother to care for his young sons. Although Barnabas is still in love with his first wife, Mary agrees to marry him in the hopes of caring for him and his sons, as well as eventually winning a place in his heart. The novel tells of their trials as husband and wife, as well as the struggles that comes with taking the heart wrenching move to the New World.



        For me, this book was highly entertaining and really well written. I thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning to end. However, I was slightly disappointed that it took so long for Mary and Barnabas to truly fall in love and realize what was in front of their faces the whole time. I kept waiting and waiting for Barnabas to realize that he needed to start treating his current wife better. In fact, I kept finding myself mad at him for treating her like he did. However, I think that almost made it an even better book to read, due to the anticipation that built up throughout. I loved how with each trial and tribulation Mary faced she grew and her faith increased considerably. For me, the end of the book was very fulfilling especially after waiting page after page for Barnabas and Mary to truly fall in love. I highly recommend this book, especially for those who love historical fiction like me. Great first novel; I cannot wait to read the next installment in the series.
Note: I received this book for free from Revell in exchange for my honest review. 


No comments:

Post a Comment