Peace

Peace

Thursday, May 8, 2014

HOPE


      My church started a new series two weeks ago called 50 Days of Unleashing Hope, and of course it has gotten me to think a lot about hope. My own hope, but also hope for the whole Earth. A few months ago, I had hope that God would open the door in my life that he wanted me to go through. While I had hope and I trusted in God, I also was experiencing despair and anxiety about what my future was going to hold. I was in the process of hearing back from the graduate schools I had applied to for Fall 2014, and my prospects were not looking good. I had also just went through the same thing for the Spring 2014 semester, so rejection seemed to be all I had to look forward to. That being said, I never once lost hope in the fact that God knew what my future held, even if I didn't. Then, at the beginning of April I finally heard the good news I had been waiting for. I was accepted into graduate school! I was absolutely thrilled, and when I read that acceptance letter from Antioch University New England the amount of hope I had in my future as a graduate student skyrocketed.

Antioch University New England, the school I will be attending in August!
       But then, with my hope greatly increased, people started talking about coming of the apocalypse, and how certain factors (like the blood moons that have been occurring) are pointing to biblical evidence of the end times. Now, I do not know if these signs point to the coming of Jesus, and no one but God will ever know when the time for the new heaven and earth to be created is. Still, it bothered me a little bit because I am getting ready to begin my career as a Conservation Biologist and all this talk about blood moons, the apocalypse and the end times have had me wondering lately what the point is to earning my master's degree, if God is going to come soon and destroy the earth. Then I remembered a discussion we had about this topic in my Environmental Ethics class. The fact is, we as Christians are called, from the very beginning of creation, to be good stewards of God’s creation. This is apparent throughout the Old Testament and well as the New Testament. This being said, some still believe that taking care of God’s creation is pointless because one day it will all be destroyed, or burnt up and there will be nothing left to care for anyway. 

       However, Hebrews 1:2-3 is a clear indicator that no matter what lies in the future, we should care for the Earth in the present. “But in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe. The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being,sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.” This passage talks about Christ as being the heir of all things in the universe. Jesus Christ “is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being” (verse 2); he sits at the right hand of God. Because Christ is the heir over the cosmos, we should want to keep and protect his inheritance for when he comes in the future. Colossians 1:15-21 also supports this point. In Jesus, all things were created and Jesus is the firstborn over all creation, things in heaven and on earth. We should simply want to look after creation (even if it is going to burn) because God, our heavenly Father and Creator, made it and saw that it was good.

       "He is the image of the invisible God. the firstborn over all creation. For by him all things were created, things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or ruler or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all thing hold together. And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or things in heaven by making peace though his blood shed on the cross" (Colossians 1: 15-20). 



No comments:

Post a Comment