Peace

Peace

Monday, May 5, 2014

Burning Sky

      

       The novel Burning Sky by Lori Benton is a fantastic novel. I was thoroughly impressed by the historical accuracy, and how much the author researched into the American Revolution and what actually took place after the fact. The novel tells the story of Willa Obenchain, who abducted by Mohawk Indians before the war began at the young age of fourteen, felt compelled to return to her home in the New York frontier where she lived before the kidnapping. While the Revolutionary War is over, she returns to find things have greatly changed. Her parents are no where to be found, and her world seems to be falling apart. She becomes determined to live a single solitary life, dependent on only herself. Then, on the border of her father's lands meets a wounded Scotsman, and her idea of a solitary life starts changing.


       This is a beautiful story filled with romance, pain and heart tugging moments that made it hard to put down. I remember reading a story when I was a child about a young girl who was also abducted by Indians as a child, and I was super excited to read another novel along the same lines and about early America. I was slightly disappointing that there was not more Native American culture and lifestyle added to the story line. However, this did not change my opinion of the book in the least. I loved that while romance was a big part of the story, there was a lot more going on. There is violence and hate and struggles that Willa and the other characters have to contend with, as well as other side stories that added to the overall plot. I highly recommend this book, but readers should know that it is not a gooey romance, but a complex novel filled with love, forgiveness and of course healing from the past's trials. 
       Note: I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for my honest review. 


No comments:

Post a Comment