Peace

Peace

Friday, January 10, 2014

Patience

             God has been teaching me a lot about patience lately. Lately I have learned that waiting is one of the hardest things for me to do, and I have been doing A LOT of waiting these last few months. It is not that the act of waiting itself is hard for me, it is the act of waiting patiently and contently. These past few months I have been waiting to hear back from the University of Nevada, Reno to see if I have been accepted into the Natural Resources and Environmental Science masters program. Well, graduate orientation starts January 15th and I still have not heard an admissions decision. This means that these next few days I have to wait (patiently?) for a few people to decide which path the next few years of my life will be like. So basically, my life is on hold and has been since I submitted my application. Their decision in the next few days means I will either be packing up in a hurry and moving to Reno to start life as new graduate student, or I will be looking for a job to sustain me while I wait until the Fall 2014 semester in August (which means more waiting!)
               Throughout these taxing and stretching situations, I found I was praying for patience every time that I prayed, which happened to be multiple times throughout the day. And then one day, a conversation that my twin sister and I once had entered my mind. During this conversation she told me that I should be careful when I pray for God to teach me how to be patient, because in order to do this God will send you opportunities to practice, test and expand your ability to be patient. Well, God is definitely answering my prayers, and yes throughout these times, my patience has grown enormously. In fact, as I am writing this blog, my father has just called to inform me that I have a letter from UNR in the mail, and now I have to WAIT to see what it says. But, I will be patient and continue writing this blog until he gets home (!!!).


Now, I am not necessarily complaining about this situation, because while it is has been very very hard to put my life on hold, it has also taught me a valuable lesson that I have to keep learning over and over again. No matter how out of control my life becomes, how many frustrating situations I come across and how out of control I feel, the Almighty Creator of the Universe knows what He is doing. I may feel like the universe is spiraling out of control, but in reality my future is in God’s hands and honestly, there is no better place to be. There are a few verses that have really helped me through these times of waiting; that help remind me that God is good and that God is in control.
"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29: 11
“Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubles and do not be afraid.” John 14:27
But I trust in you, Lord: I say, “You are my God.” My times are in your hands; deliver me from the hands of my enemies, from those who pursue me. Psalm 31: 14-15

No comments:

Post a Comment